8 useful tips to pare down your skincare routine
When it comes to skincare, the world is finally catching on to what the Japanese have been doing for ages. Skincare has become one of the biggest selling categories in beauty and healthcare globally in the last few years. But the realisation is now setting in that ‘skinimalism’ (or skin minimalism) is actually the healthier way to approach skin care — the way Japanese beauty routines have functioned for decades!
J-beauty promotes minimalistic skincare and encourages you not to overload your face with layers of product that just sit on the skin and rather use fewer but more effective products that deliver results. The key is to embrace slow beauty, that is, use just a handful of products that your skin really needs thus, letting its natural beauty shine through.
Here are some easy-to-follow tips to pare down your skincare routine, the J-beauty way:
- Understand your skin type: Start by getting to know your skin better, and avoid buying into fads and trendy products that you simply experiment with. Figure out if your skin type is sensitive, acne-prone, dry, oily, normal or combination, and buy products to suit your specific skin type.
- Opt for natural products with high-quality ingredients: Skincare items, such as Japanese skin care products, that find the right balance between science and natural ingredients and botanicals are always the best choice as these are formulated to be gentler on your skin.
- Avoid products claiming quick results: It takes about a month for skin cells to turn over which means it takes almost that long to really see the results of a product. Skincare is all about the long haul and any product promising instant and quick results are usually harsher or stronger than necessary and thus, can be potentially damaging for the skin.
- Choose gentle cleansers: Harsh cleansers can strip your skin of their natural oils and be the root of many troubles including dry, dehydrated skin. Instead, try a skin-loving gentle cleanser like Deep Cleansing Oil used in J-Beauty routines that wash away makeup and grime while maintaining the pH balance of your skin.
- Hydration is key: Moisturizing helps improve skin’s elasticity and gives it a radiant glow. It helps replenish any moisture lost in the cleansing process. You can also opt for a moisturizer with SPF, because it is important to use sunscreen whether you’re out in the sun or even indoors. This brings us to the next point.
- Find good multi-use products: Some products will serve more than one purpose. For example, a good cleansing oil will serve as a make-up remover and will cut out the need for facial wipes. The act of massaging the face with a cleansing oil also helps you relax and unwind, letting you have a few minutes of calm.
- Focus on a single skin issue at a time: Be it fine lines and wrinkles, acne or dull skin, add a skincare product to your now minimal skin care routine that focuses on tackling one concern at a time. A simple skin care routine will work far more effectively to tackle existing skin concerns.
- Research well: Do your own extensive research and invest in high-quality products by brands that have done years of R&D to formulate their skincare lines.
So, are you all set to declutter that skincare cabinet and practise skinimalism, the J-beauty way?