There’s a reason (or few!) why millions of Japanese, and now others across the globe as well swear by the art of double cleansing. It’s because the process of double cleansing comes with tons of skincare benefits. Don’t believe us? Read on to find out what double cleansing can do for you:
- Breaks it all down: The biggest benefit of double cleansing is that the first cleanser, an oil-based one, breaks down all makeup, removes dirt and excess oils accumulated over the course of the day. This allows the second cleanser to really get in there and cleanse the skin without having to work through layers of makeup and grime.
- Improves the efficacy of other skincare products: Double cleansing not only thoroughly cleanses, but can also help the rest of your skincare products penetrate better. What it does is it clears the way and preps the skin for other products such as moisturiser and sunscreen to be absorbed better and more effectively.
- Takes off pollution sitting on the skin: Double cleansing is especially important for city dwellers who are exposed to high levels of pollution levels daily. Imagine how good your skin feels after you really let it breathe once all the pollution and grime has been washed off.
- Prevents clogging of pores: For those who wear heavy make-up, transfer-proof make-up, long-wear foundations and setting sprays, double cleansing is a real saviour as it helps take all this off easily and thus, prevents clogging of pores thereby avoiding blackheads and blemishes.
- Clears sebum build-up: Acne is often caused by a sebum build-up which causes infections. Double cleansing comes to the rescue by preventing this build-up and bacteria, thus fending off acne-related flare-ups! Now isn’t that good news?
- Is gentle on the skin: Double cleansing using an oil-based cleanser first is far gentler on the skin as compared to harsh make-up removers and make-up wipes. The latter especially harm your skin’s acid mantle, which is a delicate layer on the surface of your skin that helps keep the moisture in. Imagine scrubbing your face off all the makeup and grime with wipes versus massaging and melting it all away with an oil-based cleanser – it’s easy to tell which is gentler.
- Helps achieve radiant, glowing skin: Within a few weeks, you will notice that double cleansing helps in brightening dull skin and improving your overall complexion. This is a result of the deeper and more thorough, but gentle, cleansing of the skin.
- Reduces puffiness: The act of massaging your face with the oil cleanser is also a great way to stimulate lymphatic drainage which leads to less puffiness on the face. This gentle massage also helps stimulate the production of collagen in your face. Yep, you read that right!
- Allows you to have moments of #Self-care: At the end of a long day, double cleansing allows you to indulge in some ‘me time’ by spending a few precious moments for your self-care routine, therefore turning a simple and effective cleansing routine into a ritual for sensorial pleasure and relaxation.